1 urgently needed; absolutely necessary; "a critical element of the plan"; "critical medical supplies"; "vital for a healthy society"; "of vital interest" [syn: critical]
2 performing an essential function in the living body; "vital organs"; "blood and other vital fluids"; "the loss of vital heat in shock"; "a vital spot"; "life-giving love and praise" [syn: life-sustaining]
3 full of spirit; "a dynamic full of life woman"; "a vital and charismatic leader"; "this whole lively world" [syn: full of life, lively]
4 manifesting or characteristic of life; "a vital, living organism"; "vital signs"
- vī'təl, /ˈvaɪtəl/, /"vaIt@l/
- Relating to, or characteristic of life.
- Necessary to the continuation of life; being
the seat of life; being that on which life depends.
- The brain is a vital organ.
- Invigorating or
- The sun’s vital radiation.
- Necessary to continued existence.
- The transition to farming was vital for the creation of civilisation.
- Relating to the recording of life events.
- Birth, marriage and death certificates are vital records.
Relating to, or characteristic of life
Necessary to the continuation of life
Invigorating or life-giving
Necessary to continued existence
- Finnish: elintärkeä
Relating to the recording of life events
Vital may refer to:
- vitalism, the doctrine that life cannot be explained solely by mechanism
- vitalism (Jainism), the Jain teacher Mahāvīra's philosophy
- Vital, the English name of a number of Roman Catholic saints named Vitalis in Latin
- Vitals, a 2002 science fiction/techno-thriller novel written by Greg Bear
- Vitals (band), an American post-rock band from Burlington, Vermont.
- Vital Forsikring, a Norwegian insurance company.
- Vital signs, a set of measurements taken by health professionals in order to assess the most basic body functions
- Vital Signs (pop band), a pop band from Pakistan
- Hayim Vital, the 16th century Rabbi and Mystic
- Vitalize, a web browser plugin
- Vital currents, the concept of currents within the body found in Yoga
- Vital (film) (2004), a Japanese movie directed by Shinya Tsukamoto
- Vital (album) (1978), a live album from the British progressive rock band Van der Graaf Generator
- Brothers of the Vitals, pirates who ruled the Gotland Island
- VITAL (Web application), a Web-based video analysis system built by Columbia University
vital in German: Vital
vital in French: Vital
abiding, aboveground, acid, age-long, aged, agog, alacritous, alive, alive and kicking, all agog, among the living, ancient, animate, animated, animating, antic, antique, anxious, armipotent, authoritative, avid, bang, basic, bedrock, biological, biotic, biting, bouncing, breathing, breathless, brisk, bursting to, called for, capable of life, capersome, cardinal, central, chronic, cogent, coltish, compulsory, conscious, constant, constitutive, continuing, corrosive, critical, crucial, cutting, desirous, diuturnal, drive, driving, durable, dynamic, eager, effective, endowed with life, enduring, energetic, enlivened, enlivening, essential, evergreen, existent, exuberant, flush, focal, forceful, forcible, forward, frisky, frolicsome, full of beans, full of life, fundamental, gamesome, gay, getup, gutsy, hale, hale and hearty, hardy, hearty, high-potency, high-powered, high-pressure, high-tension, immutable, impatient, imperative, important, impressive, in force, in power, in the flesh, incisive, indicated, indispensable, inspirited, instinct with life, integral, intransient, inveterate, invigorating, irreducible, irreductible, irreplaceable, irresistible, keen, key, lasting, life-and-death, life-giving, life-or-death, live, lively, living, long-lasting, long-lived, long-standing, long-term, longeval, longevous, lusty, macrobiotic, main, mandatory, material, mighty, mighty in battle, mordant, necessary, needed, needful, nervous, of long duration, of long standing, of vital importance, operative, organic, organized, panting, paramount, penetrating, perdurable, perduring, perennial, permanent, perpetual, persistent, persisting, physiological, piercing, pivotal, playful, poignant, potent, powerful, prepotent, prerequisite, prompt, puissant, punchy, quick, quickening, raring to, ready, ready and willing, red-blooded, rejuvenating, remaining, required, requisite, reviving, robust, robustious, robustuous, rollicking, rollicksome, rompish, rude, rugged, ruling, sempervirent, sensational, sinewed, sinewy, skittish, slashing, spirited, sportive, sprightly, stable, stalwart, staying, steadfast, stout, strenuous, striking, strong, sturdy, substantive, telling, tenacious of life, tough, trenchant, unfading, unforgoable, valid, very much alive, viable, vigorous, vim, vitality, vitalizing, vivacious, vivid, vivified, vivifying, wanted, zestful, zippy, zoetic